Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Traveling Pt. 2


7/16
Well after a great six days in the US it’s time for me to leave again. I’m a lot more nervous for this trip. It was reassuring to have 29 other people incredibly nervous and excited about Africa with you. I’ve traveled alone before but always to meet a group that are all arriving at the same time as me. It’s hard going to Belize without any idea of what to expect and not knowing anyone there. It’s definitely harder to leave this time because I know how much I’ll miss everyone I’m leaving. I’m sure the trip will be worth it but I’m really nervous about it. I’m sure it’ll be plenty hot enough there though!

7/17
After three different modes of transportation and eleven hours of traveling I arrived in Sarteneja! The bus ride was interesting, but definitely not as bumpy as expected. I may just be used to roads in East Africa. There were plenty of working people who use the bus as their way to commute but also plenty of drunk fisherman. The two bus drivers were really considerate and generally concerned for me. When I arrived in the Sarteneja, the bus was a little early so there was no one to pick me up but the driver called Wildtracks and told me to wait outside the store since it had a light. There are about eight other volunteers here right now. They come from all over! I’m sharing a cabana with a girl from England who is conducting research here for her master’s. After dinner and watching part of Anchorman we headed to bed, it’s so hot here; hopefully I can get some sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brazil Reflections

Recently in my zoo career, I've been left wondering how big an impact I have on animal conservation. I know I form relationships with a...