Sunday, July 29, 2012

Cuddling with Monkeys

Twiggy came back! She finally showed up at her gate this morning. I fed Spartacus this morning and he wasn't very happy to see me. He pulled my hair quite a bit because I didn't bring him the greatest browse. After the monkey feed, it was my turn to feed the peccaries again, so I made my way into the mosquito swarms. The peccaries weren't so angry today, so they were pretty cute. Paige made banana pancakes for breakfast, which were delicious! We had another monkey feed at 10:30 and I fed the monkeys in quarantine. Richie is a female howler monkey and she's pretty antisocial or aggressive if you don't bring in browse. Teresa is a spider monkey who used to be on a chain outside a hotel. She's really nice and she loves spending time with people. I sat inside her enclosure with her for a little while and she had me groom her back for a little while. We tanned for a little while after finishing feeding this morning. I have several different tan lines, but hopefully I'll be all evened out by the time I get back. Some government officials came for lunch and to tour the facilities. We had another feed at 2:30 and I did the quarantine again. Teresa had me groom her back again but she also groomed my head. At the last feed, I fed the two spider monkeys so I could learn how to do it. They're adorable and love just sitting on your head and shoulders. I pretty much had a monkey on me at all times while I was in there. Paige had to distract them so I could get out of the enclosure. We had another Duke feed but we managed to get him on the first try. Twiggy was in with Duke and they had little manatee kisses while we were trying to get Duke. It was so cute! We're watching The Help tonight and we made popcorn! So exciting to have some normal food!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brazil Reflections

Recently in my zoo career, I've been left wondering how big an impact I have on animal conservation. I know I form relationships with a...