Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Manatee Death Grip


Today was my last day of training so I got to feed Twiggy this morning. She’s so cute and I don’t think I’ll every get tired of giving her a bottle. After we let Twiggy out for the morning, we had to feed Duke so Paul and Zoe had time to pick up a surrendered monkey from Belize City. It took us three attempts to get Duke today; he definitely isn’t a fan of the tube feedings. He had some diarrhea, most likely a side effect of the dewormer, so he received some Pepto Bismal. He is starting to improve some and actually ate a little seagrass today. I finally tried the hammock today, I was pretty wary of it since I tend to fall out of hammocks and it looks particularly small but I was actually pretty nice and I managed to stay in it the whole time. The wind really picked up in the afternoon and it rained on and off so we didn’t take Twiggy out to the island. She came back around 4 pm, so I let her in and then fed her. After I had finished feeding her, she was still holding onto my legs, upset I didn’t have another bottle for her. I got my right foot out but she wouldn’t let my left foot go. Who knew manatees were so strong! It was really cute though and I would definitely stay there all day if I could. Another volunteer showed me the movie stash upstairs in the house, so I have a pretty large stack of movies to watch over the next few days. I tried my first shower with the drinking water tonight instead of the lagoon water. My hair was feeling pretty disgusting, but I was avoiding it because it involves a bucket and a cup. It was somewhat annoying but my hair feels a lot cleaner. I came back to change into my pajamas after dinner and when I put my shorts on; a cockroach crawled down my leg! I learned a valuable lesson the tropics – always shake your clothes out before putting them on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brazil Reflections

Recently in my zoo career, I've been left wondering how big an impact I have on animal conservation. I know I form relationships with a...