Friday, July 27, 2012

Lost Manatee


This morning I fed the three monkeys in the pre-release cage. They receive milk in the morning and fight over it quite a bit. You have to feed Sultan through a syringe while supplying the larger male, Nikki, with a bowl of milk, which he promptly throws on the ground after he finishes it. It’s a lot of juggling milk, but Livvy sits on your shoulders the whole time, so you get to cuddle with a monkey. After I pried Livvy off of me, I went back to the house for breakfast. Twiggy didn’t come back this morning or last night and a little before lunch, we found Twiggy’s radio transmitter. It must have somehow fallen of off her tail, but we didn’t see Twiggy anywhere. We had two more monkey feeds, which included Spartacus pulling my hair and Paz ignoring me.  A couple of spider monkey researchers came to tell us more about the monkeys’ behavior. After their tour of the facilities, we had to get Duke for a feed and luckily we got him on the first try. Duke actually ate two frames of sea grass today, so he really is starting to feel better. We’ll weigh him tomorrow to see how much he’s improved. We have a new volunteer and the biologists for dinner so we celebrated with banana milkshakes and rum and cokes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brazil Reflections

Recently in my zoo career, I've been left wondering how big an impact I have on animal conservation. I know I form relationships with a...