Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Monkey Monday

My days are filled with monkeys now, but that's definitely not a bad thing. I fed the two howlers this morning and Spartacus was pretty playful. He kept running around and hitting me as he passed me. Luckily he doesn't hit very hard. After breakfast, we had to get more sea grass so we took a canoe out into the lagoon. It was a lighter canoe so steering went a lot better this time around. Although it sounds like a boring task, it's actually really nice sitting the lagoon. The water feels pretty good and it's nice to get a break from constantly sweating. I went back out to the three in the pre-release cage at the 10:30 feed. Livvy got right on my shoulders again and Sultan kept holding my hand and running up the side of my body. Nicky was getting frustrated with him so he started to fight with Sultan. Sultan's pretty small so he gets picked on quite a bit but he's also a lot faster than Nicky. We were running out of fruit for the monkeys, so we made some hard boiled quail eggs for the 2:30 feed. Mattie and Duma, the spider monkeys, had mixed reactions to them but Paz, a howler monkey loved them. We also tried giving them coconut and a lot of the monkeys were not a fan of it. Paul ran into town to get some fruit for the 4:30, so we had a good variety. He picked up a pineapple and all the volunteers were jealous that the monkeys were getting it. A lot of them didn't even like it! It was pretty upset watching them throw it on the ground. We had another Duke feed after the monkeys were finished. We got him into the corner, but then he slipped under the sling! It's amazing how agile a 144 lb manatee can be. Luckily we caught him the next time around. We got a call today that five spider monkeys are coming on Wednesday and apparently one is pretty small! I can't wait to meet them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brazil Reflections

Recently in my zoo career, I've been left wondering how big an impact I have on animal conservation. I know I form relationships with a...