Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Work Days


6/19/12
The last two days have been workdays, so nothing very excited has happened and we’re starting to get very restless. We had a class in the morning yesterday about all the different traditional animal uses by the Maasai and the one camp assistant who is a Maasai was there to give some personal information from his tribe, which was really interesting. We then had the remainder of the day to work on our baboon research papers. There was a traditional goat slaughter in the afternoon that was performed by our Maasai camp assistant, but I chose not to attend. The goat had been on campus all afternoon and I’m just not used to looking my meat in the eye before I eat them. We had another birthday last night and she requested banana bread, so we go the African version. It was very dense but it was pretty good and had a powdered sugar icing on top. Today was mostly devoted to continue to work on our papers, but we had one class in the afternoon to prepare us for our visit to Tarangire National Park tomorrow. I also finished my paper early, so I went to the Shirt Shack with another student. It’s pretty touristy but all the shirts are hand printed, which is pretty incredible. A walk through town is always enjoyable because all the children wave and say hi. We usually pick up a couple kids that just want to hold our hand and walk around with us too. It’s been a couple of slow days, but I’m glad we get a whole day in the park tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brazil Reflections

Recently in my zoo career, I've been left wondering how big an impact I have on animal conservation. I know I form relationships with a...